Your urbane choice among Old Salem hotels
Exploring Old Salem offers a glimpse into the early days of Winston-Salem and a unique understanding of the Moravian influence on the region's culture and history. Here are some must-visit attractions in Old Salem:
Discover Old Salem's Timeless Treasures
- Old Salem Museums & Gardens: Delve into the past at this living history museum, featuring restored buildings, costumed interpreters, and insightful exhibits showcasing early Moravian life.
- St. Philips African Moravian Church: Explore the African-American experience in Old Salem and learn about the Moravians' religion in the oldest surviving African-American building in North Carolina featuring restored buildings, costumed interpreters, and insightful exhibits showcasing early Moravian life.
- Old Salem Visitor Center: Begin your journey at the Visitor Center, where you can get information about tours, events, and exhibits that capture the essence of Old Salem.
- T. Bagge Merchant Store: Visit a recreated Moravian store, the T. Bagge Merchant Store, to witness the trading practices and goods typical of the late 18th century.
- Salem Tavern: Dine at the historic Salem Tavern, an authentic Moravian-style restaurant dating back to 1784, and experience traditional Moravian cuisine.
- Winkler Bakery: Discover the art of 18th-century baking and savor freshly baked goods at Winkler Bakery, a staple of Old Salem.
- Gemeinhaus and Miksch Garden: Admire the Gemeinhaus, the first church and administrative center of the Moravians in Salem, and stroll through the adjacent Miksch Garden, a beautiful green space.